Thursday 7 February 2013

Virtually alone...

I love the electric interweb. The magical land of goodness where I can find everything I wish to know about anything at all.

Trace my lineage? No sweat!
Make a paper garland? Easy breezy!
Learn to play the guitar? Ah-uh-huh - Like Elvis!

I love social networking platforms too. The fact we can connect with friends and family and tap into people and topics of interest regardless of location, status, race, creed or colour - it really is amazing.

How is it then that with all of this technology and the ability to be in touch, many people feel more alone than ever?

Sure it may seem as though we're connecting via that fleeting Tweet or because we've caught a post on Facebook or Instagram but are we really building or enhancing meaningful relationships?

Do you remember speaking with your friends on the telephone for hours or recall writing to a pen pal in a distant land? I do. In fact, I still enjoy sending (and receiving) handwritten cards and notes. Now I'm not saying let's go back to the "good old days", I'm merely suggesting a "communication fusion".

Kick it old school with some one on one phone calls and the occasional unannounced drop in on a mate for a cuppa. Catching up one on one with people we care about renews our spirits and feels oh so good. Then temper the old school with good measure of the new, and keep those Tweets, status updates and photos coming so we're all up to speed with what's happening and what matters to each other.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. I'm off to put my money where my mouth is.
 
I'm sending you virtual hugs and getting on the blower. Calling Elvis...Is anybody home?

Loving you, loving me...TLT x

 



No comments:

Post a Comment